Monday, July 27, 2009

Week 13

GOD always knows best! In our eyes, the budget gets harder as the ministry grows each week, yet He continues to provide through people. Amanda's co-worker, blessed us with enough resources to provide for the next 2 weeks. (I shall leave the person's name out for privacy, until permitted.) I do thank you from the bottom of my heart though!! Our ministry was blessed with 30+ backpacks (brand new) to hand out as needed, thanks to the tremendous help of Randy.

We were shocked to see the large crowd waiting for us. We did things a little differant this night. Our team was myself, Amanda, Jerrica, Joey, Randy, and Christina (another friend from home fellowship). Once the food was set up, we invited our guests to join us in prayer as we opened up shop. About 6 of them came forward to bless the food and give thanks to GOD.

I let everyone know that between 7-7:30pm, we'd be teaching a bible study and anyone was welcome to stay and participate. I was very surprised to see who it was that decided to stay when the time came.

We set a new time record! In all, I'd guess we had about 60 guests dining with us from the very start, which meant the food went alot faster than normal. We were completely out of food by 6:40pm. Almost everyone was able to get a bite to eat. We had a repeat customer from the week before, Spike. He showed up around 6:50 and was able to grab one of the garlic bread pieces that remained. I mentioned that I was about to start the bible study shortly. He respectfully said that he was going to leave in search of some meat because he was starving, but thanked us for the bread he was able to eat. He and I spoke for a few minutes and I did my best to lift his spirits up... all of a sudden I see Amy (from home fellowship) roll up on her beach cruiser, holding something wrapped in foil. It was a stack of kabobs, loaded with chicken & beef! That very moment Spike realized GOD had just provided specifically for him. I couldn't help but shed a tear of joy seeing him smile that way. He then opted to stay for the study and fellowship.

I sat with a woman who's been joining us for the past few weeks taking photographs of everything going on. She's not with our group but she enjoys being around us. She shared some of her work with me. Very good stuff I admit. She asked if there was something she could do to help out. I suggested that even something as simple as handing out the waters would be of great assistance to us. We exchanged information and emails. She promised to send me some of the photos she's taken to use for the blog.

Since the food was gone so fast, the women had alot of freetime on their hands. During the bible study I noticed all the women ministering to people, getting to spend some 1-on-1 time talking with them as individuals. I didn't get a chance to hear what they were saying, as us guys were going through chapter 2 of John. The study went well. Alot of insight from all the men that stuck around. One of those men being the guy I had called the paramedics for weeks earlier. He's doing much better now, I might add. I believe that because of that particular event, he now sees that I'm one that can be trusted.

After the study had finished, most people took off. I stuck around though, sitting next to the tables we set up. A man walked to the table out of curiousity, staring at the pile of bibles. He asked if I remembered him. I vaguely recognized his face but couldn't place it. A month earlier, I had seen him diggin in the trash cans on the sand for bottles. I walked down and had given him a bowl of spaghetti. Of course, now I remember! He thanked me for that act of kindess again. We sat and talked for 30 minutes or so. I invited him to church with us, and offered him my number. Jerrica spoke some spanish to him, so he'd understand what I was trying to communicate. Jerrica is such a blessing to have around!! He offered us help serving in the future. The hearts of these men & women are so giving... if only others can get past the outside and see them for who they really are!

No comments:

Post a Comment