Monday, July 6, 2009

Week 10 (Sunday)

(1 Corinthians 13:3-13) "If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing. Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love!"

Yesterday late afternoon was emotionally rough. I received another phone call from the ER regarding Jeremy. He had another seizure from his alcohol problems. We picked him up and immediately tried getting him placed into a detox program... with no luck. Our friend whom we've grown do truly love as part of our own family is suffering and slowly dying! Before dropping him off at an AA meeting, we bought him dinner and prayed for his Deliverance.

I met with him this morning (Monday) so we could see if there were any openings. The facility told us that he needed to have medication in his possesion to help with the withdrawls before the detox would take him. They told us to go back to the ER and then call them once we have what is needed. We did that and then they told us that there are now no beds available and to try back tomorrow. The purpose of the medication is to stop withdrawl episodes from nearly killing him by releasing low doses into his system until he no longer needs to rely on it. The facility requires a full prescription bottle upon entry to their program.

Today they are telling us to call back tomorrow in hopes that there is an opening for him. He has accepted that, but will then need to take the medicine throughout the day today to keep from drinking, which in turn would empty his full bottle.

This is completely new to me and I find it frustrating that our city does not have a better system to help people out. How can one expect to overcome such tribulation when the system itself has no immediate help. This has sadly opened my eyes to the revolving door and I admit that it is very painful for me because I am unable to offer a solution. All I can do for the time being is share the Love that has been put in my own spirit by our Heavenly Creator and let His light shine through me.

Today my soul is weak with grief because of the situation I've come to know.
Readers.... I beg you to please continue to pray for Jeremy and his struggling addiction to the poison that is killing him.

1 comment:

  1. I work in that world every day and sadly what you're finding is true..the system itself simply does not work. There's it not enough help, not enough people willing to be accountable and not enough money to get anything for free. Still, the resources have not been exhausted..I'll check my database at work and see what I can find. It's encouraging to know that God has sent the two of you to care for this man..keep taking your steps and God will direct your path.

    ReplyDelete